Writing Competition Overview
To join one of the University of Miami School of Law’s journals, students can participate in the Law Review Writing Competition. For the Writing Competition, students use a substantial packet of source material, provided by the University of Miami Law Review, to write an in-depth academic article. Articles will be scored on the basis of writing ability, legal analysis, and Bluebooking skills.
The Writing Competition is an academic exercise of the School of Law, and seeking outside assistance or materials may be reported to the Honor Council at the discretion of the Senior Writing Editor.
Membership on the University of Miami Law Review is prestigious, and competition for a spot on the Law Review is accordingly difficult. The Writing Competition provides students in the top 33.3% of their class or section the opportunity to compete for a position on the University of Miami Law Review. Students must have also attended a law journal symposium to be eligible. More information on obtaining Membership on the University of Miami Law Review can be found here.
Note that all University of Miami School of Law students are eligible to write on to the School of Law’s other journals through the Writing Competition. For more information regarding the other journals, please see this memorandum.
The 2017 Writing Competition
The information packet for the 2017 Law Review Writing Competition is available here. Dates and registration information for the 2017 Writing Competition are below. Please note, late entries will not be accepted.
- Competition Registration: Wednesday, June 21, at 12:00 p.m. to Wednesday, June 28, at 5:00 p.m.
- Competition Opens: Friday, June 30, at 10:00 a.m.
- Competition Closes: Friday, July 7, at 5:00 p.m.
- Announcement of Winners: Wednesday, July 12, by 9:30 p.m.
If you are interested in learning more about the Writing Competition or “How to Write a Casenote,” please attend the following sessions:
- 2017 Writing Competition Information Session: Monday, March 6, OR Monday, March 20, from 12:45-1:50 p.m., in room F309.
- “How to Write a Case Note” Workshop: Tuesday, April 4, OR Monday, April 10, from 12:30-1:50 p.m., in room F309.
2016 Writing Competition Winning Submissions
Please note that the following sample casenotes were not edited following their submission, and the citations may or may not be formatted correctly.